This recipe uses Crème Fraîche, which, if you make at home, requires a few days advanced preparation (see the recipe). While this may be a pain it is in my opinion well worth it. From start to finish it may take a couple hours, but a good portion of that is simmering. Serve over buttered egg noodles. I like my sauce thicker than the original recipe, so use half the suggested liquid. The crème fraîche will also serve to thicken the sauce somewhat. This is a favorite to serve during the cold winter months.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Medium White Onion, (sliced or diced)
- 8 Ounces Mushrooms, (sliced)
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine, (Chardonnay)
- 1 Cup beef broth, (or 1 15oz can)
- 3/4 Cup Crème Fraîche
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chives, (chopped), (or a green onion)
- Cut beef into smallish 1/2 inch strips.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until nearly smoking.
- Stir in beef and cook, stirring constantly until liquid evaporates. This may take five minutes or more--some liquid is OK.
- Remove meat from the pan and set aside. Continue to cook the liquid off as needed until what is left is "sludge" and brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Turn down heat to medium and melt butter in the pan. Add mushrooms and onions into the pan and stir over medium heat until the vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until incorporated.
- Stir in wine and 1 cup of stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Return beef to the pan, bring back to a simmer and cook on low heat for about 1 hour with the lid on until the beef is tender. Stir every 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and reduce further if desired until the sauce is a little runnier than your desired thickness.
- Stir in crème fraîche and chives.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.