This is a quick dish that works well for a picnic or on pulled pork sandwiches. It is also a great way to use up excess cabbage from other recipes. I like this recipe as it has a bite to it along with a little sweetness. Additional things such as shredded carrots, hot sauce, and cayenne or red pepper may be added as desired.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Wait: 15 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1T kosher salt
- 1/4C mayonnaise
- 2T Dijon mustard
- 1T grain mustard
- 1T honey
- 1T apple cider vinegar
- Cut the half head of cabbage in half and remove the core. Then slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips cutting across the short side of the cabbage.
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage and salt, and with your hands mix and massage the cabbage for two minutes. Break apart any chunks and slice things as needed.
- Let the cabbage sit for 10 minutes tossing a couple times.
- Transfer the cabbage to a colander, rinse well with cold water and let drain for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the mayonnaise, mustards, honey and vinegar.
- Take a handful of cabbage at a time, squeeze it well to get rid of more water, then add to the bowl with the dressing.
- Mix well and optionally cover and chill in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.