This can be replaced by sour cream, but it mixes better under heat and I think tastes better. It does take a couple days of preparation before use, though, so some forethought is needed.
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Cultured Buttermilk
- Combine ingredients in a CLEAN (perhaps boiled in water for a few minutes) container. I use a glass measuring cup.
- Cover tightly with cheesecloth or any breathable material, (I use a coffee filter as recommended by the original recipe and a rubber band to secure it).
- Let sit at room temperature for a day or two.
- Stir and perhaps move to a container with a lid, and put in a refrigerator for a day to thicken further.