This is a base hummus recipe. Other things can be added to it as desired. For example I have mixed in things such as cooked spinach and roasted red bell peppers. Total time to make is about 10 minutes, (longer if you have some additional things to add and prepare), and uses a food processor.
- 2 (15-ounce) Cans Chickpeas or 3 Cups (250 grams) Cooked Chickpeas
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Tahini
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 4 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (to taste)
- Dash Ground Paprika and Olive Oil (for serving)
- Combine the tahini and lemon juice in the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and salt to the food processor and process for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- If using canned chickpeas open and drain the cans reserving the liquid from one can.
- Add one can of chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl then add the remaining chickpeas. Process for 2 minutes.
- (Optional) Add any additional ingredients such as spinach and process for about 30 seconds.
- Add the liquid from one of the cans of chickpeas, or 3 Tablespoons water and process for 30 seconds. Check consistency and salt, and add more liquid and/or salt as desired and process for 30 seconds. Repeat until happy with the results.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika before serving.