This is a generic BBQ sauce. It is tangy and can be tempered with more sugar if desired. I personally like it tangy. The ketchup I use is store-bought, but one without corn syrup. Total cook time is around 1 1/2 to 2 hours, but most of that is simmering.
- 2 Cups Ketchup
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the desired thickness.
- Taste and add seasonings as needed, (only do this when the desired thickness is reached as further reduction will increase the flavor of the seasonings).