This is a generic BBQ sauce probably considered as of the Kansas City variety. It is tangy yet sweet, and can be tempered with more sugar if desired. It does not need to simmer the full time listed in the recipe, but I like it thick as well. This sauce is probably something that you would add near the end of cooking as the sugar can burn, or just serve on the side without putting into the oven or on the grill.
Prep: 2 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Wait: 1 hour
Total: 1 hour 7 minutes
- 2 Cups Ketchup
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 1 hour or until the sauce reaches your desired thickness.
- Taste and add seasonings as needed.