This is a quick and easy tartar sauce that is made with items I usually have on hand. It tastes great and can be tweaked to your liking. There really is no need for me to have store-bought tartar sauce and instead I can make small batches on demand. I tested two batches of this, one which I let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and another that I tasted right away. While I do think that the sauce that rests tastes a little better in that the mayonnaise flavor is not as strong, it is perfectly fine to eat right away. However, you may want to add a little less mayonnaise and/or add some more acidity with dill pickles or vinegar for the non-rested version.
Prep: 2 minutes
Cook: 1 minute
Wait: 30 minutes (optional)
Total: 3 – 33 minutes
- 1/4C mayonnaise
- 1/2T fresh dill weed, finely chopped (1/2t dried)
- 1/2T lemon juice
- 1t grainy mustard
- 1/2t capers, finely minced
- 1t onion, finely diced
- 1T dill pickles, finely diced
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.