This is a base hummus recipe that comes together quickly. Other things can be added to it as desired. For example I have mixed in things such as cooked spinach and roasted red bell peppers. You may adjust times and liquid to make a consistency you like. I prefer a smooth but somewhat thick result, and this recipe reflects that. However, for an even creamier consistency, the Extra Creamy Hummus recipe achieves that at the expense of about 40 minutes more time.
Prep: 3 minutes
Cook: 7 minutes
Total: 10 minutes
- A food processor is used for this recipe.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas or 3C (250 grams) cooked chickpeas
- 1/2C lemon juice
- 1/2C tahini
- 1 clove (about 2t) minced garlic
- 4T finishing olive oil
- 1t ground cumin
- 1t salt
- Dash ground paprika and olive oil (for serving)
- Combine the tahini and lemon juice in the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and salt to the food processor and process for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- If using canned chickpeas open and drain the cans reserving the liquid from one can.
- Add one can of chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl then add the remaining chickpeas. Process for 2 minutes.
- (Optional) Add any additional ingredients such as spinach and process for about 30 seconds.
- Add the liquid from one of the cans of chickpeas, or 3 Tablespoons water and process for 30 seconds. Check consistency and salt, and add more liquid and/or salt as desired and process for 30 seconds. Repeat until happy with the results.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika before serving.