While I usually like my whiskey neat with a splash of water, there are times that I prefer a cold, “desert” whiskey. In those cases I turn to the Old Fashioned as it is a refreshing end to dinner. Many times I will skip the simple syrup. I do not have a mold to make ice spheres, but I may pick one up as the regular ice cubes melt quickly watering down the drink. I also prefer simple syrup over a sugar cube.
Prep: 2 minutes
Mixing: 1 minute
Total: 3 minutes
- 1/4oz simple syrup. You may also use 1t sugar / 1 sugar cube and 1.4oz water. (syrup or sugar is optional)
- 4 drops angostura bitters
- 3oz Bulleit Rye Whiskey
- 2 ice cubes or 1/4oz water (optional)
- Optionally put a low-ball glass in the freezer for 10 minutes before mixing.
- If using granulated sugar, add it, the water, and the bitters to the glass, Mix well to try and dissolve the sugar.
- Add the ice then the whiskey, and stir for about 5 seconds.